Just search “Diabetes & Herbal or Ayurvedic Treatments” on Google and you will get thousands and thousands of links on diabetes and the importance of herbal medicines in curing and controlling it (not necessarily all are correct unless approved and verified by medical practitioners).
If nature has given a problem it has already decided the solutions to it. All we need to do is understand them and use them effectively to tackle our problems. Diabetes is one such problem where alternative medicine system has proven a bit more beneficial in not only treatment of diabetes but more importantly helping a human being to avoid the onslaught of diabetes. To understand what alternative treatment is, let’s have a quick look at what is mainstream medicine and in comparison what are the alternative treatments available for diabetes.
So, what is mainstream medicine system?
Mainstream medicine is a system in which qualified medical practitioners, doctors and other healthcare professionals such as nurses, pharmacists, and therapists work on treating symptoms and/ or diseases using drugs, radiation, or surgery. This system is also called allopathic medicine, biomedicine, conventional medicine, orthodox medicine, or Western medicine. Crudely, in India they are called ‘English medicines’.
And, what are alternative treatments?
A health treatment that is not classified or categorized as standard Western medical practice is in general referred to as alternative medicine. This category of treatment includes a variety of disciplines that include everything from diet management and exercise to mental conditioning and lifestyle changes. The alternative treatment process include proven concepts like acupuncture, guided imagery, chiropractic treatments, yoga, hypnosis, biofeedback, aromatherapy, relaxation, herbal and ayurvedic remedies, stress relieving massages, and many others.
The regular and prolonged consumption of allopathic medicines have resulted in different side effects. Slowly the popularity of alternative medicines which are found to be beneficial in controlling, preventing and managing diabetes is being looked upon as a good option for managing blood sugar levels.
Now, let’s understand what kind of alternative or supplementary treatments (scientifically proven or otherwise too) are available for diabetes.
PLANT BASED FOOD AS ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE FOR DIABETES
Most plant based foods are rich in fiber and it is a known fact that fiber is very good for controlling blood sugar levels.
- Whole Grains
- Brown Rice
- Ladies Finger (Okra)
- Green Beans
- All and most kind of cereals
- Black Pepper
- Long Pepper
- Fenugreek seeds
SUPPLEMENTS AS ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE FOR DIABETES
- Grounded Cumin Seeds if taken regularly on an empty stomach preferably with milk has benefits for managing type 2 diabetes
- Cumin seeds can also be mixed with small cardamom in powdered form for long term
- Not all but many of the above cited plant based foods are basically rich source of chromium and in various studies it was proved that chromium helps in diabetes management.
- Same as Chromium, in many of studies it was found that lack of magnesium in body is associated with insulin secretion irregularities which have contributed in diabetes complications.
EXERCISE & WEIGHT LOSS AS HOLISTIC APPROACH FOR MANAGING DIABETES
We have always stressed on the fact that how what you eat, how you treat your body by the lifestyle you adopt including the level of physical exercises you do has greater impact on the risks associated with diabetes.
Many people have resorted to different crash weight losing techniques in order to fight diabetes, but many of them are either not scientifically proven or have minimal effects. The best way to lose weight is through various level or forms of exercise as suitable to a person. Swimming, walking, brisk walking, jogging, climbing stairs etc. and many other easy forms of exercises which helps in managing body weight and control body fat are best for your diabetes control.
After reading the benefits of herbs and other alternative medicine you will be tempted to start using them immediately, but it is always advisable to consult your doctor or you can write to our team of experienced doctors who can guide you on use of commercially available herbal products for diabetes. When considering treating diabetes with a commercial herbal product, you should consider:
- Discuss with your doctor any herbal product/ medicine claimed to be herbal as available commercially
- Just because the commercially available product says ‘herbal’ you should not start using it, even if you do, in case of experiencing any side effects such as nausea, vomiting, fast heartbeat, nervousness, sleeplessness, diarrhea, or skin rashes reach your doctor immediately
- Be careful of commercial claims of what herbal products can do. Always look for scientific sources of information to know about the ‘claimed’ ingredients and their benefits as per your body type
- Always select the commercially available ‘herbal’ brands carefully. Use your common sense and follow a few guidelines like selecting the brand that contains the list of ingredients - herb's common and scientific name, the name and address of the manufacturer, batch number, date of manufacturing, expiration date or period, dosage guidelines, certifications or registration details, and potential side effects.
The team at Singhal Diabetic Clinic has over its decades of experience and has analyzed thousands of medical records of diabetic patients. The research has helped the team of academicians, medical professionals and computer programmers to come have with easy and accessible solution for helping the masses to know their risk of diabetes. Welcome to the era of www.Grass-Diabetes.com - a portal which is equipped with disruptive technology in form of an algorithm which can calculate the risk of type 2 diabetes by analyzing your eating habits, your lifestyle and genetic history of diabetes. Depending upon your risk, the same risk report from Grass-Diabetes.com also consists of preventive solutions in form of herbal and kitchen recipes. The dietary suggestions given by GRASS-DIABETES.com are derived from proper research which is presented in an easy to use format of web-portal.
Let me know if I can be of any help.
Dr. MS Singhal
MD - Grass-Diabetes.com